St. Gaspar del Bufalo, the apostle of the devotion to the Precious Blood, was born in Rome on January 6, 1786. As a devoted priest he revived the works of the apostolate in Rome and later became a dedicated missionary. In his missionary travels in Italy, he invited the faithful to reflect upon and to adore the Precious Blood of Christ. In the year 1815, he founded the Congregation of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood; and in 1834, with his encouragement, St. Maria the Mattias founded the Congregation of the Sister Adorers of the Blood of Christ. He was beatified by St. Pius X in 1904 and canonized by Pius XII on June 12, 1954. Manifesting his particular devotion to St. Gaspar del Bufalo, Pope John XXIII visited his body in the Church of Santa Maria in Trivio on January 4, 1963, where it still remains enshrined for the veneration of the faithful.